Sketching Riveaux Abbey's Ruins


If you've been reading my main blog lately, you'll know that I was excited to discover Urban Sketchers recently. If you haven't seen their site already, do take a look.

Seeing their work has inspired me to post some more of my sketchbook drawings here. It does seem a shame to have them all trapped in closed books on my shelf. I will scan a few in from time to time, when I have a moment.

These 3 are from a visit to Riveaux Abbey in North Yorkshire. Riveaux is a roofless ruin, but with enough interesting stonework and walls still standing, to make it really atmospheric and fun to draw.

I sketch in a 3B pencil. I don't add anything to them later, though now I've seen some of the interesting colour work on the Urban Sketchers site, I might experiment...

Unlike some of the Urban Sketchers, I am insufficiently committed these days to sketch in the rain, or in seriously cold conditions, so these were done in the summer!

5 comments:

Vicki Smith said...

Really nice drawings. You commented on my illustration blog about how there are not many of us pastel artists. I have noticed that, too. More so since I have been putting up the postings for Illustration Friday.

Your work has a great sense of fun.

Lynne the Pencil said...

Thank you!

Cathy Gatland said...

These definitely shouldn't be trapped in a sketchbook - lovely!

Lynne the Pencil said...

Thanks for visiting! Glad you like them.

Anonymous said...

Very evocative. Thanks! Terry