Changing the Telegraph Pole


A while ago, I heard lots of noise outside the house, so I stopped what I was doing and ran to find out what was going on. There was a massive lorry parked up right outside, and several men in hard hats milling about. They were replacing the telegraph pole directly in front of our house!

Now, I'm always partial to bits of machinery in action, and men at work, well, you've got to watch haven't you?


It was a sufficiently unusual occurrence, that I thought it warranted documenting, so I rushed back upstairs and got my little sketchbook. I was so glad I did.

It went on for ages, so I was able to do sketch after sketch, peering out at them from our front bedroom window, the perfect vantage point. Everything was continually moving, so I had to be pretty snappy, which is always excellent practice.

And the proof of that, is that I think you can see from the sketches (which I've put in order) that I'm getting better as I go along. These final two are much the strongest of the series - I definitely warmed up!

This last is them finally lowering the new pole into position:

2 comments:

granny grimble said...

Well that make a nice change from people on trains and Chinese junks!
I wonder if watching men at work is an English thing. Do other countries have little glass windows in building sites so that the public can stand and watch the workmen slaving away?

Anonymous said...

I still say you have one of the best sketchbooks in the business. Absolutely superb. Good for you.

Chris